Friday, December 27, 2013

December Favourites

With the obligatory annual "best of" lists that pop up at the tail end of each year, I wasn't planning on posting a December Favourites. However, I came across a good number of products this month that I felt deserved their moment in the spotlight. Most were new acquisitions that I found myself genuinely pleased with, while others were rediscoveries of previously neglected products that I managed to put to good use.



Caudalie Make-Up Remover Cleansing Water Organic Grape Water & Camomile
My Bioderma Créaline H20 was leaving my skin feeling a little dry when I used it remove makeup from my face. Then I remembered this micellar water from Caudalie that came in the Must Have Set I purchased in March from Feel Unique. I find this cleansing water more refreshing and distinctly more moisturising than the more clinical, no-nonsense Bioderma, even if I still use Bioderma to get rid of more stubborn eye makeup. It has a "green" scent that reminds me of something vegetal but sweet. With a finishing spritz of Avene Thermal Spring Water all over, my skin feels hydrated and plump, like it can finally relax and breathe.



Topshop Blush in Head Over Heels
I've been putting off buying this cream blush for probably a couple of years and recently finally caved. It's a fairly affordable $12 and the packaging is compact, functional and adorable. I have no shortage of similar shades (or rather, I have no non-similar shades), but the texture is what impressed me. It reminds me a bit of the Chanel Le Blush Crème de Chanel cream blushes. It's not wet or emollient, it's more thin, dry and on the powdery side, but super easy to blend out, not patchy and very pigmented.

Napoleon Perdis Cream Blush
I was prepared to largely disregard this unnamed cream blush that was a freebie with the November issue of Australian InStyle magazine, dismissing it as generic and unexciting, but seeing it pop up in a couple of Monthly Favourites posts from Tashi and Kat made me revisit it. I was surprised at how this looked patted onto my cheeks after foundation — dewy, fresh and an instant complexion pick-me-up. Not too red, not too brown. A rare thing: a pink that I can pull off.



Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer in Classic Beige (030)
I've heard good things about this concealer from Tanya Burr and I enjoy the Wake Me Up foundation (despite buying about 3 shades too dark), so this was another thing I picked up during Priceline's 40% off sale. As I mentioned in my outback packing post, I've had to tackle a lot of random dark spots on the lower half of my face from pimples that have diminished but left their mark. This concealer, while slightly lighter than my skin tone, works well to cover the spots so they're almost undetectable. It has a texture similar to Maybelline Fit Me concealer, except a bit more liquid, thinner and radiance-boosting. It also neutralises redness around the edges of the nose and brightens darker areas around the corners of the mouth.


Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies in Blackest Black
I've been meaning to try this mascara for an age and finally picked up a tube from Chemist Warehouse when they had a 2 for $20 deal on Maybelline mascaras. I'm happy to report this mascara is a breeze to use and I've been reaching for it almost every day since I opened it. The wand isn't overly wet or overloaded with product and it provides good separation and length for a defined, natural look. I've experienced no noticeable issues with clumping, smudging or flaking. The curved wand helps lift the lashes upward from the roots and it's one of the best mascaras I've tried for the lower lashes, second only to Max Factor Masterpiece Max.


DKNY Be Delicious
I'd almost forgotten I owned this perfume but on a whim one morning decided to spritz it again. I don't know why I haven't worn this more because it's so much better than I remembered. It's comforting, sophisticated and warm, with top notes of grapefruit, cucumber and magnolia, middle notes of apple, tuberose, lily of the valley, rose and violet, and base notes of white amber and woods. Oddly, I don't detect that much green apple. It's a little sweet, a little tart, clean and mellow. Longevity and projection are excellent.

40 comments:

  1. Lovely picks my dear, I'm a huge fan of that mascara and DKNY perfume! I used to have the pink one but I don't have it anymore but would love it right now! And a topshop cream blush has been on my wish list for very long but its always out of stock when I swing by the shop! Thanks for sharing! Have a great New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend uses the DKNY be delicous perfume too and has become her signature scent by now. I've given this a spritz on the wrist and still contemplating. I've tested out the classic Chloe perfume and found that it is so me. It smells very simple yet unique.

    I have two topshop blushes - one cream and one powder. I can't say no to either one because both worked well on me. Especially when it comes to cream blushes, I'm quite picky. Don't fancy ones from NYX for its stickiness. Being an oily skin gal, that's the last thing I wanna put on my face. :p

    p/s: I truly enjoy reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that perfume, its the one I always keep in my handbag, and of course I love that cream blush :P Great favourites lovely xx

    Kitsch Snitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Falsies too, it's one of the best mascaras I've tried. I found that Bioderma dried my skin too, so maybe I'll try the Caudalie makeup remover!

    Hannah
    Girl+World

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post has reminded me to dig out that Topshop blush! Too many peachy-pinks, too little time. I've heard good things about that concealer but none of the shades seem to suit me! I look forward to your yearly faves!

    x Tashi
    http://shiwashiful.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the dryness from bioderma sometimes too if I wipe my face with that stuff a few too many times- the Caudalie sounds great in leaving your skin more moisturised. I'm not a huge fan of falsies as it just tends to give my raccoon eyes after a few hours of wear... :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love DKNY perfume, but for me it's totally summer's scent :)

    www.magdalennes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post!!!! I too am loving the Rimmel Wake me Up!! honestly it is the bet thing that has ever been created hahaha

    http://ashleebowler.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. DKNY be delicious have been on my wishlist for so long time, but still I keep buying other perfumes. I'm definitely going to buy this when spring will be a little bit closer. :)

    http://happinessvictim.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same perfume but in red! I find the red musky even at first spritz, but I like it nonetheless :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a sample of the DKNY perfume, and it smells so good! I can't really smell the green apple sent much either, but I really love it. I may have to buy the full size soon....

    shadowlinergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yet another lovely looking roundup from you! So many things that I've been wanting to try (the topshop blush, rimmel concealer, and DKNY perfume…) but just haven't gotten around to (basically I've somehow showed restraint in these areas haha). And what an awesome treat to have that nameless blush be a winner!! I love it when seemingly throwaway items become forever favorites :)

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed using Caaudalie grape water. I would totally repurchase it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have yet to do my favourites D: Thank you for remember me!
    Top shop makeup looks so nice T___T I heard that they wanted to open a store here....buying it online is out of question.
    Oh and that other blush *-* Looks really nice as well! <3
    I've also thinking about doing some changes on my skin care routine and those include Caudalie and their micelar water. I'll be switching my cleanser for one from Bioderma and my tonic as well. Let's see how well it turns.
    Take care, have a nice day!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg the colour of the blush looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a travel-sized bottle of the Caudalie Makeup Remover that I had yet to try, but your post has definitely motivated me to finally open it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Be Delicious is soo yummy smelling! The Falsies is my absolute fave mascara!
    xxx Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
  18. great picks!!
    I love the maybelline black falsies as well, maybelline really has a lot of good mascara at affordable price!
    The napoleon cream blush sounds good! it is always nice to find out an underdog product being so good :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. $12 for that topshop blush? I swear I bought mine for $16 o_o
    Anyhoo, nice faves. Btw I love your nails.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I use that perfume too, it's really quite lovely.
    You have made me want to dig out Head Over Heels now, it is a rather neglected blusher in my collection with no real reason as to why as it is a nice blusher.
    Amy x A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  21. The mascara is my all time favourite, i havent tried any makeup from topshop but the blush looks very nice. I like rediscovering old favourites or putting the old neglected into use 😊

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Caudalie Cleansing Water sounds lovely. My skin has the tendency to feel quite dry and tight, post make-up removal so reading that it's moisturising, intrigues me. I added it to my wishlist. :) I've been wanting to try the Topshop cream blushes for about 2 years now, with Head Over Heels being one of the shades I've had my eyes on for ages. I don't know why I keep prolonging my purchase since they only cost 9 euro here in Ireland and I also have a 10% student discount, to tempt me even more. I've heard nothing but great things. I think 2014 is the year that I ought to finally give them a try. As for the Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies mascara, I think I need to give it a go too. If you haven't noticed any clumping and smudging then I'm all over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love maybelline the falsies! That topshop blush also looks so nice, I love a good cream blush!http://babblingbrigid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Caudalie is excellent! I can see why it would be on your favorites list. Awesome products. Thanks for the recap.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really want to give Rimmel's concealer a go and it's weird I bought the Wake Me Up Foundation too dark too :( xxxx
    Verity | Life of Verity

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE the DKNY Be Delicious perfume, you described it perfectly! I also love Topshop creme blushes, the shades and pigmentation are a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  27. haha I love your reflect on the perfume bottle ! :p (on the first picture)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Maybelline Falsies mascara, it is my favourite! I have the Rimmel concealer as well and I like it, but I find it clogs my pores if I use it for a longer period of time.

    Elise
    Unpolished Experiments

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely favourites. Topshop cream blushes are pretty & very well priced. The Caudalie Micellar Water I found to be very gentle and great at removing makeup & dirt
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  30. That Topshop blush looks really beautiful and I love that mascara too! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I want to look more into Caudalie's product.
    If it's worth it, I won't have to try to get Bioderma on Ebay!

    E | Beauty/Skincare | Cocoamourr

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the Falsies and the Rimmel concealer too. I need to check out your other suggestions. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great. Now I want a Topshop blush STAT. :x

    And I actually really like the Be Delicious series. My faves were the red or the golden though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I got that Napoleon blush too but I haven't even used it yet! I can't wait to check out topshop makeup while I'm in Melbourne :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm a big fan of the DKNY Be Delicious perfumes, they all smell so delicious :) I have the pink one which has a sweeter and more floral note, but I wouldn't mind adding the original to my collection as well.

    xoxo
    Jenny @ Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've tried the Caudalie make up remover and the Maybelline mascara and I love both of them! Definitely gotta try the other favourites here.

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  37. I remember struggling with the decision to buy or not to buy the rimmel concealer during the 40% sale at priceline, kind of regret not buying it now. Might have to catch it next time round when there's a special!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...